Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Orange Chiffon Cake - My First Post!

With the encouragement from a fellow Internet friend, I've decided to start a blog of my own. This is the very first time I'm doing this, so if there are any errors, please pardon me. I hope to blog better as I go along. This blog will be about me having a blissful time (hence the name) in my home. Initially I started the blog with Teresa Kitchen Bliss, as the kitchen is my favorite place in my home. But I changed it as I also wanted to blog about other stuff too. My family and I live in a HDB maisonette. It is our second home after marriage. Other than our master bedroom, the kitchen is my favorite part of my home. Although my kitchen is not a designer built one, and the kitchen cabinets are the same ones left by the previous owner. I still love it. Cause it's here that I labour in love for my family and friends by cooking up lots of goodies. I always believe that you don't need to have a very beautiful kitchen to cook in, the food will always turn out wonderful as long as the 'home chef' cooks with love.
So if you have just a simple kitchen, or are still waiting for your dream kitchen, fret not. Your family and friends will still love your cooking if you add the ingredient of love ;)
I have been baking a lot of chiffon cakes lately after attending a baking class. With many experiments, I've tweaked the recipe a bit. My kids and I just love the soft and fluffy texture of chiffon cakes.
This Orange Chiffon Cake has a very nice natural orange fragrance due to the orange liqueur. I would usually get the brand Grande Marnier orange liqueur as I thought that it smells better. But I wasn't able to get that, so I got Cointreau orange liqueur instead. Cointreau sounds like a french name of a coin of sort lol. But as it turns out, it is very good too. In fact, I will now prefer to get this brand in future as it is cheaper and comes in smaller bottles - great for people who use it mainly for baking.
There are two important things to note if you want to be successful with chiffon cakes. First, you have to whisk the egg whites properly. In the case of chiffon cakes, it is better to over whisk than under whisk. When you over whisk, you just have a slightly drier cake. And also it takes a bit more effort when folding it into the egg mixture. But if you under whisk it, you will find that your chiffon cake will rise while baking in the oven. But will drastically sink when cooled. With practise and experience, you will be able to whisk the egg whites to the right consistency and texture.
Second, the folding of the egg whites to the egg yolk mixture is very important too. Use a large balloon hand whisk to do this. The hand whisk will help the egg whites and egg yolks mix easily and evenly. Using a spatula is ok too, but it is less effective and sometimes some parts of the batter does not get evenly mixed. So a large balloon hand whisk is the most ideal if you have one.
Getting the right size tube pan is also very important. This recipe needs a 25cm pan. If you feel that the cake is too big, you can half the recipe and use a 23cm tube pan. Do not grease or line the pan. This is one thing I like about this cake. I find greasing and lining a cake pan quite a hassle, I'm lazy lah. So anything that can reduce my workload is always a plus for me ;)
25cm Tube Pan
Orange Chiffon Cake

Ingredients:
(A)
8 egg yolks
140g orange juice (freshly squeezed)
1tsp vanilla essence
1tbsp orange liqueur
zest of 5 oranges
120g corn oil
160g cake flour (sifted)
10g baking powder (sifted)
120g castor sugar
(B)
10 egg whites
120g castor sugar
3g cream of tar tar

Method:
  1. Using a stand mixer, with the balloon whisk attached, whisk egg whites till foamy. Slowly add in castor sugar and cream of tar tar. Use high speed and whisk till egg whites are glossy and stiff.
  2. Use another clean mixer bowl and whisk (A) for 3 mins on high speed. Remember to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
  3. Fold 1/3 of the egg whites into (A), mix well. Add in the rest of the egg whites and fold till well mixed.
  4. Pour batter into a 25cm tube pan (see pic above).
  5. Bake in the oven's lowest rack at 180C for 80 mins. Place an oven thermometer inside the oven. Check every 15 mins to see if the temperature is maintaining well. Adjust accordingly if the temperature drops. If you are using a turbo fan oven, then reduce temperature to 150C.  
  6. Use a wooden stick to test the doneness of the cake. Poke it into the centre of the cake, if it comes out clean, then it's done.
  7. Invert cake onto a small bowl or a stable bottle. Place  damp cloth on top and cool completely before removing it from the pan. It is important to raise the tube pan from the table while cooling. This is to prevent the cake surface from water condensation.
  8. Once it's completely cooled, takes about an hour, carefully flip the cake over. Use a flat sharp knife and run the blade along the sides of the pan. Once the sides are properly dislodged, use the knife to run through the base of the pan. When you run the knife through, be sure to press the blade against the tube pan and not onto the cake.
  9. Cake keeps well in a airtight container for about 2-3 days. If you need to store it longer than 3 days, please keep it in the fridge.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats, my friend!!! Welcome to the world of blogging!! Your chiffon cake is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Food 4 Tots,
    Thanks so much for all your encouragement and advice. I hope to have more visitors at my blog soon. Thanks again :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Teresa

    You have a lovely blog! God bless and continue the good work. And, I will try baking chiffon cake one fine day and seek ur advice :>.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, it must be very tasty! I love chiffon cake too! Welcome to the blogging world!

    ReplyDelete